Sunday, February 27, 2011

Weekend Cook: Smoked Brisket

Smoked Brisket
This was only a partial success.  I've made brisket in the past that was so dry you couldn't eat it without choking.  I've also made perfect brisket; this was neither.

But, I think I know what I did wrong and I've got more in the freezer.  So I can try again, and again (possibly again).  Or I could just go back to cooking on the Big Green Egg (I'll have to wait for a thaw because I'm not in the mood to shovel it out).

I was using the lovely pink Traeger pig because it was the closest to the door, and a recipe that stated to foil the brisket at 180f and cook to 195f-200f.

It smoked for an hour with cherry, which was right for Dan's taste and made a beautiful smoke-line. I prefer smokier - but I'm not the one eating this sandwich, nor dipping the meat in horseradish mayo for a snack at night.

Also, I need to find a digital thermometer that doesn't freeze up in negative-number cold.  For this cook I kept having to bring it inside to warm up, and that chilled down the house.