Monday, August 23, 2010

Monday Menu: Chicken Loco Moco


When I made loco moco last December, I was informed that I did it improperly.   In the real deal, the egg is  poached in the gravy, not fried separately.  I aimed to make it right!


I braised shiitakes and leeks, and used some homemade chicken stock for the gravy.  Got some brown sushi rice already going in the cooker.


Set the gravy to simmer, turn off the heat, put the egg in and covered for 3 minutes to set it. Turned the heat back on to low, flipped the egg over when it was showing white, and let it finish cooking.


Sunset photography again.

Rice on the bottom (check), leeks and shrooms (check) - oh, and I forgot!  The chicken burger from here is in there, too.  Topped with the poached egg and gravy goodness.  Not diet food by any stretch, and a bit heavy for 80f weather.  But, I've got the method down now.