Friday, November 27, 2009

Turkey Gravy

(Dark and swirly mushroom goodness)

This is the stock base for the gravy I made to accompany the smoked turkey for Thanksgiving.

I used the necks, livers, hearts and gizzards from three birds raised on the farm, covered them with water and added some onions, garlic, celery, carrots, and two bay leaves. I strained the stock after 8 hours simmering on the stove and added some dried portabellas (reconstituted, strained, and chopped fine in a blender), and the mushroom water. I pulled the meat from the necks, smooshed up one of the livers and added them back to the stock. I let it cool overnight so that any fat could be removed.

I reheated four cups of stock and added a roux of butter and sweet rice flour (1/4 cup of each).


Rice flour roux doesn't behave exactly as wheat flour does, it takes some time to thicken the stock. This is only the second time I have used it.


I passed the gravy through a strainer to make it smooth, voila!