Monday, December 21, 2009

Monday Menu: Loco Moco

After I saw the Loco Moco on a blog featuring foods from Hawaii, I realized that it would be a quick and easy meal for Mondays when Nancy (the owner of the local diner) shuts her kitchen and I have to cook. Gravy, rice, hamburger, egg - all ingredients I have on hand - mostly from the farm, and definitely wheatless.

To 1.3 lbs. of Ground Beef, I added 1 1/2 Tbs. of Worcestershire Sauce, 1 tsp Garlic Powder, 1/2 tsp. Black Pepper, 1/2 tsp. Salt, and the yolk of one egg. I mixed it together by hand and refrigerated uncovered for two hours.

You've probably noticed the mottled coloring. This is because the meat was partially frozen (which is the reason that it was put into the refrigerator, instead of immediately making patties).

I fried them for about three to four minutes on each side.

As the meat hit the pan, I set an egg on low heat, covered, in another pan. It was done perfectly at the first burger flip and set aside for the assembly.

The White Jasmine rice had been done for an hour and kept warm in the rice cooker. This rice's fluffiness is exactly what is needed for absorbing the gravy, which I had leftover in the refrigerator.

Rice, burger, egg, gravy. Diner food from the 50th state.

Dan said, "Nom, nom, nom." I noted that the beef patty was pleasantly garlicky, perfectly seasoned, and would work for any grilled burger situation, however, they would have been more tender if they had been molded and fried right away. Salt causes raw ground beef fibers to tighten up. I'll be cooking this again.