Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Venison, Katsu-style

Venison Katsu
One of the blogs I enjoy is about eating in Hawaii, The Tasty Island.   Besides the pleasure of reading it, it makes me hungry to try food - like SPAM musubi and loco moco.

This is a variation of schnitzel called "katsu" in Hawaii.   However, you should know that if I were being totally faithful to the original, the rice would be white and there would be gravy; lots and lots of brown gravy.


A benefit of being a landowner is the occasional package of meat from a hunter. However, you never know quite what you're going to get.


I think it's loin, cut into thin medallions and small bits.  I coated them with seasoned rice flour, egg wash, and gf panko, then panfried them until the coating was crispy and brown.


It only took a few minutes per side to get a medium result.

Venison Katsu
The venison had a slight grassiness, which Dan called gamey - yet, it was really mild.  I prepared a lovely plated serving with peas and rice for him, but he grabbed the dish above and proceeded to eat it all - like they were chicken nuggets.