Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Monday Menu: Stuffed Chicken Thighs with Tomato-Butter Sauce


(Yes, I know, the Monday recipe is late, again.)

This is a dish that took more time to cook, and more time to type up, than to prep.  It was a beautiful breezy cool day, so I wanted to eat chicken - I don't know why - perhaps a pleasant memory?  But the darn bird is frozen solid and takes days to defrost - so I went to the local Hannaford's and picked up a four-pack of thighs.


The thighs were stuffed with one small onion, grated; three (should have used more) garlic cloves, grated; the zest of a small lime.  They were marinated in 1/4 cup of white wine and the lime juice.


The thighs were trimmed and boned out; a bit of the onion mix was placed in the center.  Gave them a bit of salt.  (And these cost all of $2.57!)


Rolled and ready for marinating.


Into plastic and refrigerated for four hours.  At this point, I'm thinking it may have the potential to be a good party dish.


The bundles were tied together, salted, and just less than a tablespoon of butter placed on each - the twine helps hold it there - this was an homage to Julia Child's chicken "butter massage".  Lots of cracked black pepper.


The bundles were placed on my trusty warped pizza pan with fresh tomatoes - I am collecting the drippings for sauce.  No chilies or hot stuff, it's supposed to be all about the bird.


Did I mention that this would be going on the grill?  I placed a probe in the center of one bundle and set it to 170f.  The temperature of the Big Green Egg was 300f.


In one hour and ten minutes, at 170f, I removed the bundles from the pan and set them directly on the grill to brown.  Because they were marinated, I wasn't expecting them to get crispy, but I did want to make them look delicious.


I let them rest under foil and a heavy towel to keep warm while I worked the sauce.


The drippings and tomatoes simmered away at a low boil.  I smashed up the tomatoes until they fell apart while the sauce reduced.  Tasted, salted, removed from the heat.  This took about 8-10 minutes.


I strained the sauce, and used a spatula to push the solids through.


I have to be honest, I could tell that this was commodity poultry, and the lack of "chickeniness" in the flavor was disappointing - I mean, I WAS craving farm-raised chicken, after all.

Other than that, the thigh was moist - onion/garlic with a hint of citrus, appropriately delicate - and that sauce?  Wow!  It was smokey, buttery, savory; it took everything upscale.  The sweetness of the fried cherry tomatoes fit right in.  I will be making this again.

There is an accompanying gratin recipe that I'll post tomorrow.