Monday, July 26, 2010

Veggie Overages


We're definitely spoiled with all the fresh produce we receive at farmer's market.  But what to do when there isn't an opportunity to eat everything before the end of the week?  I don't want to disrespect the veggies :)


The first thing that comes to my mind is to reduce the volume, and since our dehydrator died long ago, oil-roasting fits the bill.



I seeded, salted and drizzled the tomatoes with sunflower oil, then into a 425f oven for 45 minutes, checking after 30 minutes to make sure they weren't burning.


Onions, peppers, and fennel get the same treatment, turning them at the 30-minute mark.


The house smelled so good!  We ate the fennel right away, and bagged the onions and tomatoes for making sauce (I froze them).  The peppers I peeled, seeded and chopped for another dish, another day.