Wednesday, July 28, 2010

On the Side: Veggie Gratin, or Casserole - whatever! It was good.


I needed a side for a chicken dish, but didn't want anything complicated like macaroni cheese, scalloped potatoes, or any grated vegetable in a creamy bechamel.  Trying to cut back on the washing up, mainly.


I had some leftover boiled new potatoes, roasted fennel, sauteed shiitakes.  I found a container of sour cream with an expiration date of tomorrow, so that became an ingredient.  Also, there were blue cheese and tomme samples that we didn't use at farmer's market.  Frugal fare, if nothing else.


Wheatless breadcrumbs and butter for topping.  On to the egg at 300f for an hour or so, until they were hot and bubbly at the sides.


That's a very large "test piece" missing.  It tasted like really awesome homefries.


It needed a bit of salt, so I added some of the sauce to it.  Over the top!  Too much cook's privilege in seasoning to taste!  I'm already full.