Thursday, June 10, 2010

Cheesemaking: Indispensables


(The scale is brand-spanking new)

There are two non-ingredient things that I simply cannot do without for making cheese: a walkie and a 200 gram scale.  How do I know this?  Because when either doesn't work I have a conniption fit worthy of an intervention - an anxiety attack - and a minor panic - all the while scrambling around for McGyver-style solutions.

"Think, think, think" says Winnie The Pooh (yes, he's inside my head, along with Mr. Krabs, and a few others who are actually real people).

While walkie disasters are remedied by a box of 20 spare batteries (redundancy comforts me) or frantically waving to Dan through the window; scale malfunction is quite another thing.

Everreadys resolve garden-variety scale problems, too - but knocking the thing onto a concrete floor before you've used it is a sure-fire way to ruin a batch of cheese.

Imagine this dose of early-morning reality: milk is coming into the tank at 5:00 a.m. and there is suddenly no way to accurately measure cultures while the window to add them ticks away...or is there?

I first grabbed the closest of the seven scales I own: the "salt" scale. (I know, that's a lot of measuring equipment, but you should see how many calculators I have.)

No good, it won't register anything under 10 grams. (Shakes fist at ceiling)

I went to the house and found that one of the scales I keep there measured a minimum of 5 grams - but failed to register less than 5-gram increments thereafter.  Whatever!  I can deal with eyeballing the difference.

Did that batch of cheese come out well?  I'll know the answer in 60 days.  Someone, call a therapist ;)