Monday, March 7, 2016

Fried Perch

 
Fresh Local Fried Perch
Personal references to the ice:

* It’s what I scrape off my car in order to get inside it.

* It’s what I slipped on in a parking lot (to the amusement of no one).

* It’s the icicle I licked on a dare, when I was 6-years old.

* It’s not where I fish.

I prefer the land and the warm, thank you very much - so, I’m appreciative when my ice-fishing friends are generous with the bounty.

I’ve enjoyed eating local smelt, walleye, trout - and most recently, perch (my husband Dan’s favorite).

Coincidentally, on that particular day, I was about to kick the latest “old” kitchen stove to the curb. 

“Bye-bye” to the sprung oven door that couldn’t shut unless braced with a bit of wood, and “Adios” to the one working burner.

I fried up a pot full of crispy fish.

It was sweet to have no pressing need to clean up the stovetop spatter afterward.

The whole fishy-smelly kit and kaboodle was pushed out the door to make room for new stove #4.

(I’ve been told I’m rough on cooking appliances, it’s not an exaggeration).

Note: this recipe was made gluten-free with Citizen Cider as the “beer” in the batter, and Maninis all-purpose flour mix, which contains sugar.


Frying Perch



Gluten-free Perch Fry
Adapted from a recipe by Emeril Lagasse

Serves 4-6

Ingredients

1 Cup Maninis Gluten Free Flour
1/2 Cup Cornstarch
1 TB Old Bay Seasoning
1 TB Baking Powder
2 Farm Fresh Eggs
Citizen Cider Unified Press

1 LB Skinless Perch Filets

Peanut Oil, for frying

Directions

Combine the first 4 ingredients in a bowl.

Whisk in eggs and enough hard cider to create a thin batter.

Add filets.  Refrigerate 30 minutes to 1 hour.
Gluten-free Batter
Preheat 2-inches of oil in a high-sided Dutch oven to 375f.

Allow excess batter to drip off each fish prior to adding to the oil.

Fry four or five at a time until browned.  Do not crowd the pan.

Allow oil to come back to temperature before continuing with remaining filets.

Remove fish to a paper-towel lined plate and season with salt, to taste.
 
First Batch of Fried Perch