Monday, April 11, 2016

Cured Duck Egg Yolks

Cured Duck Egg Yolks
I was at the indoor Winter Burlington Farmer’s Market a few weeks ago and passed by the Flatlander Farm booth.

I spied duck eggs!

Back in the day (nearly 30 years ago), I tried to buy a dozen at the local co-op - but the clerk whispered, “You really don’t want those” - saying they were gamey and only good for baking.

I regretted not making that purchase, but here came my second chance!

I cracked one open.  The whites were crystal clear and the yolks were double the size of a chicken’s.

We ate them softly scrambled. They tasted similar to our own yard-bird eggs.

Before we finished off the lot I wanted to try curing some yolks, a recipe I had read about online. 

A plus: no special equipment or ingredients were required.

The finished result was salty at first, giving way to a savory eggy flavor with a waxy, creamy texture. 

I think I would have preferred them a bit softer because I loved the ooey-gooey centers with bread and cheese. 

Finished Cured Egg Yolks
 SALT-CURED EGG YOLK
Adapted from a recipe by Hank Shaw of Hunter/Angler/Gardener/Cook
Garnishes 10 plates or more.

Ingredients

2 Duck Egg Yolks
1/2 cup + of Kosher Flake Salt
Vermont Cranberry Company Vinegar

Method

Layer half of the salt in a small container such as a ½-pint canning jar.
 
Curing Egg Yolks
Gently place each yolk on top of the salt bed and cover with the rest of the salt, making sure they are completely covered. Add more if necessary.

Refrigerate for 4 -7 days.  They should be firm to the touch.

Remove from the salt and rinse in vinegar. Place on a rack over a drip tray and allow them to dry in the refrigerator for another 5-7 days.
 
Rinsed Cured Yolks
Keep finished yolks for a week in a container under refrigeration.

To serve, remove the outer rind with a vegetable peeler and slice or grate as you would cheese.