Saturday, April 2, 2011

Weekend Cook: Brisket on The Big Green Egg

Smoked Brisket
This is probably the final brisket "experiment".  I've done it on the gas grill, in the oven, and on the Traeger pig - but I'm going back to the Big Green Egg, because it does brisket best.


This is one of our own briskets, which I marinated overnight in 1/4 cup of cocktail sauce, 1/4 cup of Union Brand chili paste, and an entire head of garlic and a large onion that had been minced in the food processor.

In the morning, I left the onion mixture on the meat and coated the brisket in turbinado sugar, and left that on the counter to melt while I set the Egg to 250f.  Once it was stabilized, the meat went on indirect over a pan of water (9:30 a.m.) with a probe set to alarm at 185f.  It cooked until 195f, (5:00 p.m.).

Boucher Farm Brisket
The brisket was removed from the heat when the meat "pulled" - when a fork was stuck in, twisted, and the fibers came apart.

See the pull at the left under the probe?
I let it rest for 20 minutes under foil and a heavy towel before making a snack.

Brisket Sandwich
Moist and beefy, with a sweet and spicy kick from the chilies and horseradish (cocktail sauce).