Saturday, February 19, 2011

Wheatless: So Delicious "Yogurt"


Other than Cabot - which makes real yogurt - this is the only gluten-free "yogurt" product I trust.

My experience has been that some other brands package their plain or fruit yogurts on machinery that also runs "whole grain" or "cookie" versions - they aren't legally obligated to disclose possible contamination because of cleaning protocols - but I can tell you for a fact, they contain gluten.  The trick is to look at the entire product line (as with ice cream).  If they have wheat listed in one flavor, the chances are good that there are traces in all the others.  I'm thinking of Liberte brand yogurt, specifically, as one of the culprits.

Bonus that this is also lactose and soy-free.  The blueberry is my favorite, it has chunks of real berries in it.