Thursday, February 17, 2011

Life on the Farm 02/14/11: Milestones


It’s our Valentine wedding anniversary - number 24 – although, I’ve thought for sure and without a doubt it was the 24th for the last three years in a row.  What do you suppose that means?

I respected the ritual that accompanies the day; ordered chocolates from a new (to us) company, bought some bubbly, and set my sights on doing a normal day’s work because that’s what is always on the schedule – other than taking a short break to accompany my husband to the dentist to have another crown installed. 

There’s additional significance to 2/14/11, because it marked the final day that Dan will be milking on the dairy farm.


He’s been doing twice-daily chores for 35 years – minus two spent at college.

I call it “the final day” because I want badly for it to be so, but it isn’t.  Someone will have to step in if our new recruit becomes sick, injured - or God-forbid - wants a day off, or a vacation. 

The trifecta seems to call for a celebration with stuffed chicken breasts (our wedding reception meal), music, dancing, chocolates, and a commemorative plaque or engraved pocket-watch.    

Naw. That’s not like us at all!  And it’d mean more if I just bought him a new wallet, because he needs one after sending his raggedy ID carrier through the laundry so often.

I’ll be getting myself something, too, because that’s only fair - probably slippers.

To recap: February 15th was the day that Dan mainly/mostly won’t be milking any more, and I’m buying myself a present.

Don’t worry about him finding things to do.  I’ve got plenty of work in mind – and not from a job-jar or honey-do list.  He’s going to be working for me at the cheeseplant. 

Or “with me,” depending on how you choose to look at it.


We will be making more cheese - mainly blues – nixing the harder to age or fussy varieties that we have offered in the past.  Still, we won’t be “big-time”.  There has to be a production rhythm that fits with all the other farm activities he will still be participating in.

Hopefully, the increase in inventory won’t result in obligatory demos around the state.  I hate doing demos.  It’s like sampling out free cheese at farmer’s market, over and over again.

I lose my voice frustratingly fast during those sessions because I don’t do much daily speaking.  Getting weaky/scratchy/talky when trying to promote the business is counter-productive, and it happens to me every time.

I had a point, and then lost it trying to make this all about me.

Where was I? 

Oh, yeah.  Dan’s Last Day.
          
I figured the milestone (at least) called for a modest dinner at a restaurant.  I knew that would please him to no end, since he claims I ‘suck all the joy out of going out to eat’ because of my food allergies.

I vowed to eat plain salad like a good sport, and raise a glass to him on his our special day.


(He ate well.  I'm still looking forward to going shopping, though.)