Thursday, January 20, 2011

Wheatless: Chicken and Dumplings

Chicken and Dumpling
With smoked duck and smoked chicken in the house, this seemed a logical dish to make.


I love Namaste brownies, and their pancakes - so they were my first choice for dumplings.


Just stock, some cooked vegetables and smoked poultry, brought to a simmer - then mini biscuits dropped in and covered for ten minutes.

Chicken and Dumplings
They looked fine, but... at the risk of getting yet another hate-missive from a gluten-free food company... I have to be honest and say that these didn't work.  They were too heavy and sorghummy - think buckwheaty in flavor - and that note overpowered each bite.

I fished them out and fed them to the chickens - after making Dan try one to see if he agreed.  Someone had to eat them.


See how heavy and pasty they look? I honestly think that incorporating an egg and some kind of extra levening into the mix might have lightened the texture, but the flavor of sorghum doesn't work.  Did I say that already?

I look forward to using the flour mix for other non-savory dishes such as the ones I wrote about previously (will that statement cut down on all the anti-fan mail)?  Seriously, don't contact me.

I went to the store and bought another gluten-free biscuit mix.  You'll be surprised at which one.