Saturday, October 16, 2010

Weekend Cook: Lamb Stuffed Mushrooms

Lamb stuffed portabello mushrooms with onion gravy and wilted spinach.
I was inspired by what we brought home from farmer's market last week to re-work my mother's stuffed pepper recipe.  That didn't quite come together, but I got a nice stuffed mushroom recipe out of it.


I hollowed out several big bellas - they don't cook properly and the stuffing doesn't stay in unless you create a cup.  The excess mushroom bits were frozen to create stock later, but could have been sauteed and then added to the stuffing.

Mushroom Stuffing:

1/2 lb. Ground Lamb
A few sprigs of Thyme leaves
1 sprig of Fresh Rosemary
One small Onion
3 Cloves of Garlic
One Small Egg, beaten
One TB Breadcrumbs (I use a wheatless brand)
1/2 tsp Salt
1 tsp Black Pepper (ground)


The thyme, rosemary, garlic, and cipollinis were whizzed, instead of grating them, as I usually do.  This was added to the other ingredients, mixed, and rested in the refrigerator for an hour to come together.

I microwaved a test piece to check the salt level. It was on point, so I lightly salted the mushrooms before I stuffed them so that the finished dish wouldn't be under-seasoned.  I also lightly dusted the interior of the caps with some sweet rice flour so that the stuffing would adhere better.

The stuffed bellas were dusted with more wheatless breadcrumbs, placed on an oiled baking sheet, and baked at 375f for 30 - 35 minutes.


Done!

I wilted some washed spinach using the pan I cooked the mushrooms on - just popped it all in the oven for three minutes.   While that baked, I made a quick gravy from 2 tsp. sweet rice flour, 2 tsp. butter and 1/2 cup of stock.


The lamb was complemented by the woodsy flavor of the mushrooms.  Dan ate three of them!