Sunday, October 11, 2009

Wheatless: Worst. Cupcakes. Ever.

It was my birthday, so I made some cupcakes. They were truly terrible.

I've made the chocolate cake from this brand, and that was pretty good - so the lemon cake must be equally yummy (I reasoned). But, no.

Even my gluten-free boy let me down. Low sugar lemon frosting - I can't believe that this concoction passed through a focus group.

They look normal, but all I can say is "Bleh!" I had half a bite and had to run to the sink to brush my teeth and scrub my tongue. There was a never-ending aftertaste of bitter lemon pith from the cake, with a Crisco(y) fatty cloy from the frosting. The texture of the cake was tender and beautiful, but that's the only good thing I can say about these cupcakes.

I had to go to the store to get another baking mix, because this birthday isn't over until I get some cake.