Monday, September 21, 2009

Monday Menu: Stuffed Pork Chops

Grilled pork chop stuffed and served with steamed vegetables.

I stuffed a 2-inch thick pork chop with sauteed apples, onions, and a few chopped slices of bacon. To stabilize the filling, I added some gluten-free breadcrumbs. I let the chop rest in the refrigerator for an hour to allow the crumbs to absorb moisture and hold everything together.

(I gave the chop some salt and pepper before grilling)

The chop went on high heat, 8 minutes per side, moving around the grill so that the pork fat fires don't get out of control. That foil packet is filled with fresh carrots and peas.

The veggies were turned as the meat was turned. After 18-20 minutes, the temperature was moved to "low" for the baking step. The veggies remained over low heat for twenty minutes, then were removed.

The chops were moved to the "off" side of the grill during that time to continue cooking without any flare-ups.

After removing the veggies, I bumped the heat to medium/high (350f) to finish the chop, but it still took well over 1/2 hour to reach 150f internal. I would have preferred to let it go to 160f, but the light was fading. Much easier to finish it inside the house with a quick spin in the microwave.

It was all a bit too "medium" for me, but Dan yummed it up. He recommended about 3 times the amount of pepper on the outside for the next time. I liked that the filling was not overly sweet, and the overall flavors were of pure pork and apples. The sweetness of the vegetables worked really well, too.