Monday, August 17, 2009

Monday Menu: Beef Ribs, smoked

(That's more than twenty pounds of beef ribs)

These went on the grill at 5:00 a.m and came off at 3:00 pm. They were coated in the house rub, which is mainly smoky paprika, chili powder, black pepper, and turbinado sugar. The temperature hovered between 225f and 275f.

(After 3 hours.)

At the 5 hour mark (after a bark had formed), I placed them in a disposable foil container, added a beer for steam, and covered with foil for the rest of the cook.

Love those disposable foil pans! We served them in it as well. In this photo they still had four hours to go, and you can see the fat draining away.

I had gotten up at 4 a.m. to start this cook, so I was exhausted by the time they were done. I was just glad they finished in time for my guests.

You can do this in a roaster pan with a rack in the oven, but you won't have the smokiness from the wood charcoal. Just remember to cover it after 5 to 6 hours so it doesn't dry out.