Sunday, August 16, 2009

Weekend Cook: Grill-Roasted Chicken Breast

That's a perfectly cooked bone-in chicken breast with toast and grilled tomatoes. I prefer to smoke chicken, but I have a method you've probably never even heard of for the gas grill.

To start, I coated some bone-in chicken parts in the house rub of mainly turbinado, chili powder, smoky paprika, black pepper, onion and garlic powder. I let them set like this in the refrigerator overnight. About 40 minutes before cooking, I set them out on the counter to get the chill off - while I was waiting, I cooked the sides.

Roma? tomatoes from Half Pint Farm, cut in half, drizzled with sunflower oil (Rainville Farms, Highgate) and kosher salt. On to a hot grill, cut side down, until there are grill marks, 2-3 minutes.

Fresh oatmeal bread from Joey's Junction Bakery in Highgate was sliced thick and buttered. Then on to a hot grill for a few minutes each side. It's not gluten-free, but I was working out a standard recipe for publication.

Finished sides.

I set the grill to medium on one side and put the chicken on the opposite side (which was turned off). I baked the chicken, bone side down at 350f for an hour (til it reached 155f on the thermometer). After that, I turned it over and moved it to the hot side of the grill for about 6 - 8 minutes, until the temperature rose to 167f. I removed it to a plate, covered it in foil and a heavy towel for 15 minutes to let it rest.


Plump and juicy chicken without heating up the house or causing a grill fire - crispy skin, moist meat. Chicken on the gas grill is tricky because the skin will burn and shrink away from the meat if it touches a surface that is too hot. This method 'sets' the skin so that when it is put on the hot side at the end, it does not peel away.