Monday, July 13, 2009

Monday Menu: Wilted Greens, Cold Noodle Salad

Chopped wilted greens on top of a cold beef pesto noodle salad with a side of fresh radishes. Hooray for farmer's market!

I cut one small head of radicchio in half, and I had a bundle of chard that I coated lightly with Cheetah Marinade (Newman's Own Lime Vinaigrette).

Set a grill to medium heat.

The small-stemmed chard took about 1 -2 minutes to wilt, thicker pieces stayed on the grill for about 2 - 3 minutes.

It took about 3 - 4 minutes per side for the radicchio. After removing from the grill, I sliced the greens and set them aside to top the noodle salad.

To two cups of boiling water, I added two packets of rice noodles (it takes about 3 minutes for these to soften). I rinsed them with cold water, drained them, and set them aside in a 2-quart bowl.

I mixed the cooled noodles with one-pound of sliced leftover flatiron from another cook, and a 1/4 cup of pesto from the recipe printed here.

I forgot to add the cheese! That's 4 ounces of shredded Tomme Collins, though any Parmesan-style cheese will do. Adjust for salt, refrigerate, and serve cold with the greens.

As with most of my cooking, it's a great mess on a plate!

The result? The bitterness of the radicchio and the earthiness of the chard overpower the garlicky pesto and beef, so eating this as a noodle salad with greens on the side, rather than as a combined dish is the way to go. This recipe served 4 (or two people, twice).