Monday, February 16, 2009

Monday Menu: Steelhead Trout

Yum! This is one fish I don't mind eating - it tastes like wild salmon, but is less expensive.

This will be a simple preparation, using jerk spices, olive oil and lemon zest on the fish, with steamed broccoli, sauteed mushroom caps and black rice for sides.

Tell me that doesn't look like salmon! It's from Chile and farmed, with bonus points for being marketed without a face, scales, bones or innards!

This is a Penzey spice blend (salt-free), which I sprinkled on the fish, but in the final tasting I probably should have used more.

Ready to go, but first...

I wanted the caps whole, because I like the texture of shiitake. Not wanting to waste anything I put the stems in the freezer to be used for stock later.

It stuck a bit on the flesh side. I seared the skin and then put it into a 300f oven for 8 minutes to finish cooking.


You'll note my plate is all about mushrooms with some trout on the side. The fish was moist, sweet, and nutty with the same texture as salmon.