Thursday, January 12, 2012

Wheatless: Beer Battered Perch

Fried Perch
I've said this before: we have such cool friends!  These perch fillets were a gift, fresh from ice fishing on Lake Carmi.  They were very sweet, though some of the larger ones had a mild gaminess.

Beer Batter
Swimmin' in a gluten-free batter from About.com.

Whisk together: 1 cup All Purpose GF Flour (I used King Arthur), 1 Cup Cornstarch, 1 tsp. Baking Powder, 1 tsp. Sugar, 2 tsp. Hot Paprika, 1 tsp. Garlic Powder, 1 tsp. Onion Powder, 1 tsp. Salt, 11 oz, Beer (Corona*) or Seltzer.

*Coronas do not trigger my gluten allergy.

Fried Perch
I heated peanut oil to 375f in a saucepan and fried 4 fillets at a time, keeping the sheet pan warm in a 200f oven.  I think I would try to make the coating a bit thicker next time, because I liked the chewy texture of the crispy bits.

Oh, and we didn't have any tartar sauce, so I used horseradish cream, which gave me an intense brain "freeze" of pain.  I don't know how Dan can eat that stuff.