Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Vietnamese Steamed Crepes

Banh Cuon
 We ate these as fast as I could snap a photo - no fancy plating.  This is another wheat-free dim sum dish done at home, from ingredients I already had in the pantry.


Not a recipe, but a ratio and method found on the internet, noted, and then I lost the site address so I can't credit the author properly.  If it is you, I am sorry, but I couldn't find the page in my browsing history, nor in hours of subsequent Googling!

Batter: 1 part Tapioca Starch, 1 part White Rice Flour, 2 parts water.  I used 1/4 cup 1/4 cup, 1/2 cup to do a test batch.   Whisk together and let set 2 hours on the counter.


The filling: twelve ounces of mushrooms, 2 bunches of spring onions, a handful of cilantro and one pound of ground pork - saute together and keep warm.  (Much more filling than necessary for a test.)


Bring 2 cups of water in a large pan to a boil.  Add enough batter to form a very thin layer in a smaller pan resting within.  Place the cover on.   It takes only 2 minutes to steam.  The batch yielded 5 crepes.


 The wrap is so thin, you can see through it.

I removed the stretchy, sticky, bouncy crepe to a plate lightly spread with sesame oil, filled and rolled it.  In retrospect, I should have added the filling to the crepe after steaming for 30 seconds, returned the cover, and rolled it in the pan.


Ready for a spicy sauce of sambal olek, oyster sauce, vinegar, and agave syrup (sweet and sour in balance).

Rice Noodle Roll
I'm going to make a double batch tonight!  They are almost too simple - 3 ingredients for the batter, plus the filling of your choice - and such spectacular results.