Monday, January 23, 2012

Monday Menu: Vietnamese Sizzling Crepes

Banh Xeo
I miss sandwiches terribly, so I've been on a culinary quest to find other savory filling conveyances, ones that are so good they completely fill the void left by what I can no longer eat - because of my wheat allergy.

I've had tacos, tortillas, spring rolls, arepas, and crepes.  But not Vietnamese crepes.  These are new to me.


I defatted and reduced the sauce created by yesterday's beef rib cook.  It needed no adjustments to the seasoning.  I strained it, and poured over the pulled meat (about 2 cups).

Pulled Beef
I whisked together 1 cup White Rice Flour, 1/2 tsp. Sugar, 1/4 tsp. Salt, and 1 tsp. "Singapore Seasoning" because I was out of tumeric.  To that, I added 1/4 Cup of Coconut Milk, and 1 1/3 Cups of Water.  Stirred together, and let rest on the counter 20 minutes.  (Recipe from Seasaltwithfood)

Sizzling Crepe
I thinned out the mixture with more water, and fried the crepe in a nonstick pan.  (The first ones were too thick, and the chickens ate those.) I turned it after the edges curled up, and added the warm filling.

You know you are doing it right when the batter sizzles and instantly produces small bubbles (hotter than you think you need for a crepe).

Vietnamese Crepe - Banh Xeo
I ate two of these like delicate little chewy tacos, then realized they were supposed to be served in lettuce leaves.  (Thank you Google Photos)  The crepes lose their crispness as they cool and wet fillings exacerbate things.  I doubt they could be kept warm in the oven for parties.  Hmmm.


I've never eaten these "for real" before, so I had to go with my own flavors.  The rich sweetness and spiciness of the beef was cut by the tart dipping sauce, a mixture of  rice vinegar, (wheat-free, soy-free) oyster sauce, chili oil, and agave syrup.  Refreshing, light, and we ate it all up.

And then we had popcorn.  Because we were still hungry.