Thursday, September 29, 2011

On The Side: Homefries

Homefries
I was working out a recipe for the Free Press, and had to put specific instructions and measurements to what I normally cook without either - and half awake in the morning with bad hair, and cats biting my ankles to boot.


I roasted 1 pound of potatoes in bacon fat (300f for about an hour and a half) the day ahead. Got them from Dragonfly Sugarworks at farmer's market.


The spice mix was onion powder, garlic powder, black pepper and paprika.


Chilled, cubed and ready to be spiced and fried.


Two ounces of extra-sharp cheddar for the big finish.  In reality, I would probably double that - but, you know, with the bacon fat, butter, carbs and a cholesterol check at the end of the month, I will definitely lie about how much cheese we normally eat. See here for what my homefries usually look like.

Panfries
The secret is to brown them in butter at a low temperature so the spices don't burn.  Salt to taste and yum!  Extra Sharp Cheddar is what makes the dish:)  Back in the day they had Extra Extra Sharp Cabot Ends, but you don't find those in the supermarkets, anymore.