Monday, August 8, 2011

Weekend Cook: Lamb Three Ways

Lamb Stuffed Peppers
 The hardest part of the recipe is waiting for the lamb (Willow Hill Farm) to thaw!


For the peppers and meatballs - to one pound of lamb add: 4 Cloves Minced Garlic, 1 Medium Onion, Diced, 1 TB Minced Parsley, 1 Egg, 2 TB Grated Hard Cheese (I used our Tomme), 2 TB Wheatless Breadcrumbs, 2 tsp "Tuscan Sunset" Italian Seasoning, 1 tsp Salt, 1 tsp Black Pepper, and 1 tsp. each Onion and Garlic Powders.


I cut two medium peppers in half and dusted them with tapioca starch so the filling would stick - this recipe makes enough for two more peppers, but I made meatballs for sandwiches instead.  I set the grill to 275f, so I could keep turning the beans without having them burn.

Lamb Meatballs and Broad Beans
I'm not sure what kind of beans those were, but I marinated them in Drew's Chipotle Marinade and tossed them on the grill while each meat cooked, including the rack of lamb and peppers (cover down).  

It took about 30 - 40 minutes for the meatballs, because of the frequent opening of the cover to turn the beans.

Stuffed Peppers and Lamb Rack on The Big Green Egg
I turned the rack after 10 minutes (cover down), and removed it after another ten, when the beans were done. (It was coated in mustard and Dizzy Pig "Red Eye" rub).  Came out rare, like it should be.

 The peppers cooked about 40 minutes with the cover down; I made a hot/sweet fresh pepper sauce to go with them:


Three roasted medium-hot peppers (de-seeded), 1/8 tsp. salt, 8 Cloves Garlic, 1 Med. Onion, 2 TB Maple Syrup, 3 TB Sunflower Oil, 2 TB Sherry Vinegar; whiz in the blender.


And there you have it!  A very large mess on a plate - lamb, 3 ways, plus a sauce.

The hot sauce reminded me of horseradish in strength and went well with each preparation.

Lamb Stuffed Peppers from the Big Green Egg