Thursday, May 12, 2011

Life on The Farm 050911: Royal Wedding


I fell down the stairs on my way to the royal wedding. 

I had asked my husband Dan to wake me if I hadn’t gotten up by 4:30 a.m. in order to see Will and Kate’s guests arriving at the church - and by now, I guess, you know far too much about me.

I was barely half-awake and missed those last three important steps before the bottom.  Plus, it was dark.  Don’t judge.

So there I was, wrapped in a cat-fur covered acrylic blankie in front of the fireplace, icing my knee, and giddily anticipating the third royal nuptials of my lifetime. 

It was so worth the trouble to see Elton John cry, and wonder why Victoria Beckham had clad herself in a dark blue sack. Later, I found out that she had designed that dress herself, but I’d have been more impressed if she had actually made it herself.  ‘Cause, it kinda looked like she had.  I’ve made dresses for myself.  I know what they look like.

After the official First Kiss, I returned to the ordinary of my life in Highgate, and began the last of the tasks that would ready the farm to begin the summer farmer’s market season.


Our booth signs were pretty beat up and rain damaged from last year.  They have a “sign” side listing the major categories of what we sell, and a chalkboard side for listing specific cheeses, meats, and specials.  There are seven of them, and they needed to be repaired again. 

After twelve years, half their weight is layers of paint, I swear.

At least, there were replays of the wedding to watch while waiting for coats of yellow and green to dry. 

There were so many designer hats to be made fun of (who could resist), and re-caps of who had worn what shoes, and updates as celebrity guests re-appeared in their party frocks.


I made new signs listing the cheeses we would have for sale this year, and contemplated re-painting the display case as well to cover all the dings and scratches.

While cleaning up the case, I found a present from the past: a piece of cheese, cut for sale.  It had been there since market ended last October and become mummified – completely dried out and shrunken - but still wrapped in plastic with a price on it. 

I figure, that proves I’m telling the truth when I tell customers that a piece of cheese will most certainly survive their car ride home.

I finished my tasks, and had one final look at the television before calling it a day.  Royal weddings don’t come around all that often, and I wouldn’t have missed this one for the world.