Saturday, April 30, 2011

Weekend Cook: Cheese Stuffed Meatballs

Cheese Stuffed Meatballs
This is something that my mother used to make on occasion, back in the day.


I made my latest beef meatball recipe and cut about 2 ounces of Cabot Pepperjack into cubes.


The trick is to center the cheese and make certain the outside of the meatball is well sealed - also to cook at a low heat - or they will explode during cooking.


This recipe mades 8-10 large meatballs that baked at 400f for 10 minutes, until just set.  They were then added to a pan of simmering sauce.


The wheatless sauce of the day is from Mimmo's.

Meatballs

Meatballs in, cover on, and after two minutes I turned off the heat and let them finish cooking passively for 20 minutes.  Passive cooking is important to keep the cheese from exploding out of the meatball - and I'm mentioning that twice because nothing is worse than expecting gooey cheesy filling and finding an empty chamber.


Cheese still inside?  Check!  These meatballs would be great in crusty hot subs - but I'm about five years too late for that.   Gluten-free rolls just aren't the same.