Friday, March 25, 2011

Rare Tuna Salad with Cauliflower/Carrot Slaw


Rare Tuna Salad
It was Dan's turn to pick which fish, so we had sushi-grade tuna from Healthy Living.


After I did Julia's HB Eggs, I coated the tuna steak in Maille mustard and black sesame seeds, and let it sit on the counter for 15 minutes to get the chill off.   I set an oiled pan over medium heat and fried on each side for 1 - 1 1/2 minutes, drained on paper towels, removed to a dish, covered with cling wrap and refrigerated.

btw, I accidentally dripped raw fish juice into the mustard pot and had to throw the just-opened jar away:(

Cauliflower Carrot Slaw
My standard slaw recipe:

1/4 cup mayonnaise, and a teaspoon each of onion powder, garlic powder. Then 1/2 tsp. each of celery salt and mustard powder, 1/2 tablespoon rice wine vinegar, and enough white sugar to give a sweet/sour balance (a tsp. or so).  I actually used slightly more vinegar this time because I wanted it to be thinner, and not as sweet.

Black Creek Preserves Green Goddess Dip
I have no idea what is in that, but it goes very well with fish and eggs.

Carrot Cauliflower Slaw
Those are Arethusa's dilly beans - and there are Wickles Pickles buried in the mesclun.  I fashioned this after the salade nicoise from Leunig's restaurant.  It's missing capers, olives, and anchovies - but those are salty indulgences I'm allowed only occasionally.