Thursday, March 24, 2011

On The Side: Cauliflower Gratin

Cauliflower Gratin
This shot actually looked better in my head, than in print.


I blanched a cauliflower in the microwave; sauteed some leeks (2 medium) and 8 oz. mushrooms to begin - there were leftovers of everything because I was making other dishes.

I made a thick bechamel (2 TB Mochiko, 2 TB Butter, 2 Cups 1/2 and 1/2) and layered everything into small serving dishes.  I topped each serving with slices of Vermont Butter and Cheese herbed chevre (4-ounces in all), shredded 2-year old Grafton cheddar (about 3 ounces), and about 3 TB wheat-free breadcrumbs.  I added some additional 1/2 and 1/2 to cover the vegetables underneath.


I put the dishes on a baking sheet for ease in slipping them in and out of the oven - which was fortuitous, since there was some bubbling over - they baked at 375f for 40 minutes, until browned.

Cauliflower Gratin
This came out undersalted - probably because I usually rely on our cheeses to provide additional salt - and I didn't use them.  Is there any salt in chevre?  There definitely isn't any in the gf breadcrumbs.

The sauteed mushrooms, leeks, and bechamel were salted, but it wasn't enough to carry the finished dish.  A bit of salt while layering ingredients will solve that.

This is one of Dan's most requested sides, other than the cauliflower mash my sister makes.