Monday, March 28, 2011

Monday Menu: Beet and Blue Cheese Appetizer

Beet and Blue Cheese
Actually, this was nearly a salad - and Dan complained that I was "making his food too foofy".  To make it more salady, and less "foofy" add more greens.


This is a version of the vinaigrette I made all last summer, for 2-3 portions:

1/2 TB Sunflower Oil
2 tsp. Dijon Mustard
1 1/2 tsp. Maple Syrup
1 tsp. White Vinegar
1/2 tsp. Cracked Black Pepper
1/8 tsp. Kosher Salt

I boiled two medium beets for 25 minutes, then covered the saucepan and let cool for 1/2 hour before I removed the skins.    I used about an ounce of blue cheese for each plate.


These are "tasters"  - just a half-bite to see if all the elements went together.  The dressing had to be strong enough to stand up to the beets.

Beet Salad with Blue Cheese
Think 'fresh mozzarella and tomato slices' meets beets and blue cheese and you have the idea.  The combination was vibrant and  accented the meaty flavor in the cheese (Madison Blue).  I continue to like the faint maple notes and the peppery hot of the vinaigrette.