Monday, January 10, 2011

Monday Menu: Crepes

Gluten-free Crepes
On New Year's Day, Dan and I were invited to brunch at a friend's house.  So many delicious choices were available to me, but one item that I could not have were the most beautiful crepes I'd ever laid eyes on!

This is always a problem because when I see something I can't have, I obsess - so I searched the internet  and found a gf crepe recipe - though I didn't note the site - it may have been Ginger Lemon Girl.

Freshly made crepes
 Recipe for about 14 5-inch crepes (serves 4):

1 1/4 Cups Milk
2 Large Eggs
2 TB melted butter

Place in a blender, pulse, then add the following previously blended together with a whisk:

1 Cup All-purpose Gluten-free flour mix
1/2 tsp. Salt
1/8 tsp. Baking Powder

Pulse for about 15 -20  seconds, then place blender vessel in the refrigerator for one hour.

To cook, heat a non-stick skillet to medium-low and coat the bottom with a thin coating of batter - swirling the pan to form a circle.  If the batter seems too thick, add some milk.

When the sides of the crepe appear slightly brown and dry, flip and cook the other side for about 10 seconds.  Place on a plate and continue until all the batter is used.

Cabot Greek Yogurt
For filling, I used the deliciously sour Cabot Greek yogurt and added some warm berries (previously frozen) and an orange/Cointreau/blue agave sauce made on the fly.  If you wanted to do this all-local, I suggest maple syrup and caramelized apples.

Crepes
Yummy!  Dan said they weren't the same as "Wayne's" crepes, but he ate one extra with Nutella and another with just plain yogurt.  I'm thrilled to find a gluten-free recipe that really works, instead of having to use so many box mixes.

Unlike so many other gluten-free this-and-that firsties, these were definitely not fed to the chickens!