Sunday, June 20, 2010

Cheesemaking: No One Is Ever Truly Happy


(Sanitized equipment ready for use)

Well, I can't say I didn't see this coming. We have been at maximum cheesemaking capacity for three years now, and the seasonality of demand means that a client ordering 10-20 wheels of cheese a month from October to May, but wanting 20 wheels a week for the rest of the year simply cannot have it.

I cut my customer list waaay back.  None of them are happy.

But I am - just a little.

I have to "do less" and go to physical therapy more in order to get my knee back together, and it isn't prudent to deal with the physicality and logistics of packing and shipping to multiple clients.  It undoes what I am using my precious (high deductible) medical savings account dollars to do.  If those BCBS hosers wind up covering anything for this injury, it will be a miracle.

Nearly all our cheese is going to distributors who pick up at the farm now.

None of them are entirely happy, either.