Sunday, May 9, 2010

On The Side: Cauliflower Gratin


I haven't made a gratin in a very, very long time, but I needed a pretty side for some grilled lamb chops - and I wanted to figure out a new wheatless recipe that I could serve to guests.


I made a bechamel from sweet rice flour (2 Tbs.), butter (2 Tbs.) and cream (2 cups); added 2 ounces of cheddar and 2 tablespoons of parmesan.  Salt and pepper to taste. Not big on measuring as a rule, that's how I roll.


Blanched a head of cauliflower and layered the florettes with bechamel.


Toppped it with wheatless tortilla breadcrumbs and additional parmesan, then into a 375f oven for 40 minutes until browned and bubbly.


The topping was very crunchy.



(Sunset photography)

Since gratin is in the heavy-hitting calorie department, I served it over tomato wedges.   Presenting it as a condiment balances out the nutritional content right?   Creamy, smooth, cheesy sauce - you can't go wrong with that.  I declare it fit for company!