Monday, May 17, 2010

Monday Menu: Mozzarella Meatloaf


Took longer to cook than it did to prepare.  Meatloaf is so easy.


Cube 8 ounces of mozzarella.


I always buy one of these when I go to Hannaford's - it's just about the only local product on offer.


Ingredients: 1 lb. ground veal, 1 tsp. salt, 3 tsp. black pepper, 1/4 cup tortilla crumbs, 1 bell pepper (diced), 1 diced onion (small), 4 garlic cloves (minced), 1 egg.


I created a bed for the cheese with half of the meat mix, so it wouldn't run out - I have a lot of experience making exploding cheese-stuffed meatballs, so I wanted to be proactive.  I used half the cheese for this, reserving the rest for topping the next meat layer.


Stuffed meatloaf into the oven at 350f for an hour.


The extra breadcrumbs on the top made the cheese look like eggs.


It's missing a hot spicy kick, but that can be remedied with red sauce - or sriracha.  Always better the next day after the flavors come together.