Saturday, December 19, 2009

Weekend Cook: Cajun Jambalaya

This is a lot more complicated than it looks, because there are so many ingredients to prep. I wanted to make something special for our friends, and I asked them to pick any entree.

The answer was: alligator. The reasoning was that all of our parents winter in Florida and never bring any back home, no matter how often we ask.

I deep fried a pound of gator tail strips -- but they were eaten so quickly, there was no time to take any photos. Tastes like chicken. Really.

This isn't alligator, it's sliced chicken breast from the farm, sprinkled with paprika, and onion and garlic powders. I let these mellow while I prepped all the other ingredients for the jambalaya.

First, I fried up some gator 'n pork sausages from Cajun Grocer (foreground) and some sweet Italian pork sausage from the farm.

This was cut up and set aside, I didn't want it to be too 'washed out' in flavor, since gator was supposed to be highlighted.

Sauteed in the pan is one cup each of Louisiana Tasso ham, and Cajun Andouille (both are also from Cajun Grocer).

Onions, and a red pepper are added, and sauteed until the onions are softened.

Garlic and Bay leaf (2).

1 1/2 cup of Arborio rice, stirred for a few minutes.

Then 2 cups of chicken stock and 2 cups of pureed tomatoes are added. It cooked uncovered for about an hour. I watched it, and added more chicken stock as the rice absorbed the liquid and started sticking to the pan.

When the rice was done, I stirred in the chicken, and added the sausage back.

I also tossed in half a small bag of frozen peas - it seemed to need color - and I adjusted it for salt. I let it cool and refrigerated overnight to reheat for the party. If I was doing this just for Dan and myself, I would have added a jalapeno or two to make it spicier.