Sunday, December 13, 2009

My Little (rescue) Pony

(Buttercup, in her long "rehab pen")

I didn't want to say anything earlier, but it was clear that the pony we had agreed to board for the winter had been neglected for several years. "This pony makes me sad," I told my husband Dan.

We made the decision to rescue her.


She has severe feet problems. These photos show AFTER her feet were trimmed for the second time. Only the farrier has photos of their initial condition; it hurt my heart to see it, and I didn't want a permanent record of it.

(Front feet)

Her daily exercise goal is to walk 20 feet on cushy rubber mats, traveling from the hay she eats to the water she drinks. She kind of hobbles, but that is a huge improvement over not standing at all. She is on mild pain relievers.

(Someone - my father-in-law, I think - gave her a warrior princess haircut)


My goal is to get her well and find her a nice home; until then, she is welcome here.

"I know you has carrots!"