Monday, December 7, 2009

Monday Menu: Veal Chops with Caramelized Onions

Rather, this should be titled "Carmelized Onions" because the star of the dish is really a softball-sized sweet variety of white onion (not Vidalia or Walla Walla, maybe it was Sunbrero)? I only bought one, it was unlabeled, it sat in the onion bin for a couple of days, and then I just couldn't remember what variety it was. I should have taken a photo of the sign in the supermarket!


I marinated two 3/4-inch veal chops in 4 tsp. wheat-free soy sauce, 1 tsp. maple syrup, and 1 Tbs. EVOO under refrigeration for 3 hours. There is not enough maple syrup to make it sweet, only enough to help the skinny chops brown when they are cooked.

I sliced the onion and sauteed it on "medium" for about four minutes, then turned the heat down. I used EVOO and a pat of butter to help the caramelization. I don't usually make these because it takes longer than I like to spend standing around the stovetop.

After about ten minutes, the onions have softened, and I'm bored. I lightly salted them.

Five minutes more and they are starting to color; I turned the heat down further, and started flipping the onions over to help them along. I gave them a taste, and adjusted the salt once more.

To get to this stage took about twenty minutes. There are about 2 Tbs.

The chops took about 4 minutes a side, then rested ten minutes, covered, for a medium-rare result.

The onions tasted like Granny Smith apples and were a perfect complement to the savory "teriyaki" veal. It was served with purple sticky rice (one of my favorites) and steamed broccoli. It might be a while before I do caramelized onions indoors again - I hate cleaning spatters off the stovetop.