Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Monday Menu: St. Louis Ribs and Sweet Delicatas

Pork ribs and squash cooked the slow way on the Big Green Egg smoker, but this recipe will work in an ordinary oven just as well.

I used my own rub of smokey paprika, turbinado sugar, onion powder, garlic powder, and chili powder; the slab rested for an hour while the smoker came up to a stable temperature at 250f.

I put two whole Delicata squash on with the ribs. They cooked together for 3 hours.

At the three hour mark, the squash are done.

The ribs were coated in 1/4 cup of barbecue sauce thinned with 1/4 cup of beer, and sealed in a foil pouch for two hours at 250f.

After 5 hours total in the smoker, the meat is falling off the bones.


I deplore mixing sweet and savory as a rule, so the squash alongside white rice just didn't work for me. Maybe I should have dropped a big ol' pat of butter on it like Dan did.