Monday, July 20, 2009

Monday Menu: Stuffed Pork Chops, Grilled

That's cheese oozing out of the chop.

That looks really, really appetizing. This is a recipe for two hearty eaters; I could only eat half of one.

A double-cut (2-inches thick) Boucher Farm pork porterhouse and rib chop, waiting to be stuffed with meat and cheese - no bready fillings here!

(Two smoked pork chops, thin cut)

I wanted to create a stuffing to replace a favorite one that I made often before I became wheat-intolerant. Back then, I used to make a garlicky leek-bechamel, cool it, mix it with mozzarella, stuff the chops and bake them in the oven.

So for today I tried a meat/cheese stuffing using medallions from two of our own thin-cut smoked pork chops for the filling, cubed, along with...

Bear with me, this will add the ooze to the finished dish and hold everything together - it is THE secret ingredient. For two chops you need only one stick, pulled apart into strings.

I shredded two ounces of our own Tomme Collins, but any Parmesan-style cheese will do, and added it to the meat and string cheese combination.

Cut a pocket all the way back to the bone and really stuff it in there.

Coated in Dizzy Pig Red Eye, which I love on lamb as well. I'm all out of my own house rub and really need to get myself together and mix up another batch.

Rubbed and rested on the counter for 1/2 hour more to get the chill out - otherwise the meat will be pink near the bone.

Set the grill to "medium" on one side, and leave the other side "off". Place the meat on the hot side of the grill and close the cover. These have been turned after 3-4 minutes - not quite on the grill long enough for defined marks, but that's okay, since they will continue to caramelize during the baking step, due to the high amount of sugar in the rub. The cover is put down again for another 3-4 minutes. The goal here is to jump start the baking process with some direct surface heat.

Whoa! Should have trimmed the exterior fat from those chops. After only 3 minutes, I had to move them to the cool side of the grill before they both ignited and as you can see, some of the precious coating has stuck to the grates.

The hot side of the grill remains on "medium". I put the cover down for 20 minutes.

Not the best photo ever, but you can see that the cheese has melted and is oozing out. That's how you know they are done, it has to be hot enough at the interior to melt the cheese.

Here is the porterhouse chop after covering in foil and a heavy towel for 10-15 minutes to rest.
As you can see, it caramelized during the baking step.

Sliced and served over rice with grilled vegetables. The pork, smoked meat and sharp cheese are a winning combination, and the rub adds a mild heat. If I were to do this again (and I will), I think that I will try some pesto worked in with the cheese to add some garlicky flavor.