Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Life on the Farm 03/23/09: Not quite spring, yet


I really thought we would be putting the chickens out on pasture this past weekend. A few days ago it was so mild that the windows in the house were wide open; the barn curtains were down and warm breezes tugged at dust-laden cobwebs. I found a silicone potholder that had blown off the grill caught in the lilac bushes, and saw tulip shoots peeking through the mulch. The cats and I started sneezing from our seasonal allergies.

However, this morning there was an inch of snow on the ground, and I wondered why we had ever considered letting the birds out early - and why I didn't pick up those potholders up when I had the chance?

Yesterday, my husband Dan and I delivered meat orders to customers in Burlington; we stopped at the indoor Winter Farmers' Market at Memorial Auditorium before we went home, and it was bustling. Got to say, I was kind of worried for the health of it back in January, when there was a decline in customers due to severe weather.

In addition to buying salt-free candied nuts from The Nutty Vermonter, I purchased Arethusa's sauerkraut, Doe's Leap goat's milk cheese, Willow Hill Farm cow's milk cheese, and fresh oyster and shiitake mushrooms. They were a bit steamy in the packaging; the vendor told Dan it was because they were "still breathing".

I thought there would be an over-representation of turnips and potatoes and moderately depressed vendors by now - but it was bright and shiny faces with a wide array of local food to choose from.
There are two things I observed about the commerce this time; many veggie producers are bringing new value-added products, and the atmosphere is filled with hugging and laughter.

Veggie growers are working hard to extend their selling season, and as someone who has also introduced new products for sale, I know the importance of finding out how well something moves, and learning what ideas customers have about value and packaging. However, these products also cultivate interest; there is anticipation that something new will be available each week - just like at the summer market, enticing customers to return.

People aren't shopping in singles like they do at a regular supermarket. They are attending in pairs and family groups, meeting friends and sitting down at tables in the "food court" near the live-music stage, and having a bite from Samosaman or Tamale Girl, Island Barbeque or the Himalayan lady - and visiting for a while, just like in summer. Brings a salty tear to my eye. That is exactly what was hoped for when the winter market was first proposed - to bring the whole in-the-park experience and its social dynamic, indoors.


This is the third market I've been to as a customer, and Memorial is starting to seem a bit tight for space - but then again, so is the market's summer location in City Hall Park. The last winter market is on April 18th. I think I'll go again.