Sunday, August 9, 2015

Sweet/Tart Raspberry Sauce

Grilled Sweet Corn with Raspberry Sauce
Here’s a simple recipe for a sweet/tart sauce featuring fresh raspberries that were picked in my Mom’s back yard.

The flavor is exceedingly vibrant with complexity provided by using raw, unfiltered honey – added at the very end, off the heat so those subtleties are preserved.

I’ve enjoyed it is a dressing for salads and cold veggies; it works well without any added oil or salt. 

It’s a bit thin.  If you prefer thicker, just add a ½ tablespoon or more of prepared mustard and adjust the sweetness if necessary.

This works with any fresh or frozen berry.

I made a second version of the recipe by adding a seeded habanero to the saucepan.

I loved the flavor of the hot sauce, but when steam started coming out of my ears I knew I’d made a mistake.


Next time, I’ll use a pepper not quite as intense.

Easy Raspberry Sauce

Sweet/Sour Raspberry Sauce
Makes 2 Cups

2 Cups Raspberries (fresh or frozen)
½ Cup Rice Vinegar
¼ Cup Lemon Juice
1-4 TB Honey


Place all ingredients except honey in a saucepan over low heat.

At the simmer, continue cooking for 12-15 minutes, until berries fall apart.

Cover pan and let cool 20-40 minutes.

While still warm, stir in honey one tablespoon at a time, tasting after each addition. (I used 4 TB)

When sweet and sour are in balance or to your taste, strain through a sieve to remove the seeds.
Cover and refrigerate

Use for basting grilled chicken and pork, to dress greens and cold vegetables, or as a base for pan sauces (just swirl in a few tablespoons and a bit of butter when deglazing the pan).