Thursday, December 18, 2014

Homemade Mayonnaise

Farm Eggs and Homemade Mayonnaise
Fifteen years ago, our cheese plant was spanking new and I personally delivered cellar-aged wheels of Boucher Blue throughout Chittenden County.

One of my stops was Cheese Outlet/Fresh Market on Pine Street in Burlington – even when they didn’t make an order.

I joked that I barely broke even on those trips, because in addition to any foodstuffs I’d never tried before, I would purchase two different types of sandwiches and pick up 7Days, which wasn’t available in the St. Albans area at the time.

Why two ‘wiches?  Because I would split them with my husband Dan and enjoy eating both while reading the paper upside down – he can only read right side up.

I really miss those sandwich days.  The driving?  Not so much.

This time of year, I find myself with a lot of ingredients in the pantry and ample time to buff some rusty kitchen skills.

Homemade mayonnaise is THE secret sauce of the season. In bread spreads, dressings, dips, and tartar sauce - it’s worth the extra effort.

If you can whip cream or make butter, you can do it, too.

Five minutes to make.  Three hours to wait.  Remember Cheese Outlet with some great sandwiches, and enjoy!
Homemade Mayonnaise

Homemade Mayonnaise
Adapted from Food in Jars
Makes about 1 Cup

3 Egg Yolks (room temperature)
½ TB Dijon Mustard
1 – 1 1/2 Cup Sunflower Oil (EVOO or Peanut Oil)
1 - 2 tsp. Lemon Juice
1 Pinch of Salt
Pepper

Optional: Pinch of Sugar


Place yolks in a blender or food processor fitted with a blade.

Pulse for a few seconds, then add mustard and pulse again.

Begin incorporating oil drop by drop while the blender runs.

At the halfway mark, begin adding oil in a steady stream, until you reach desired thickness.*

Incorporate salt, pepper, and/or a pinch of sugar to taste.

Cover dish and leave at room temperature for two hours.

Refrigerate for one hour.
 
Homemade Mayonnaise
Your mayonnaise is ready.

*If your mayonnaise “breaks” into an oily mess, start the process over with another yolk, adding the broken mixture drop by drop.