Thursday, February 13, 2014

Pork Chops with Honey Mustard Sauce and Cracklins

Boucher Farm Pork
When I was growing up, two sauces were served with frequency at both home and school – white (cheese optional), and red (beef optional).

My mother had one more, though it was more of a glaze.

She mixed brown sugar with yellow weenie mustard, poured it over a block of SPAM and baked it.

I’m sure I’ve mentioned this before, because it’s one of my favorite stories.

I can never recall what was served for sides because the vinegary shellacking and absence of presentation made it a hard sell.

I was very suspicious and absolute in my belief that meat did not plop whole, out of a can, like jellied cranberry sauce. 

(This bad girl had to go to her room for what she said.)

I have made significant strides with Mom’s Mustard Sauce, and now I’m sharing.

It’s been mellowed and balanced, with honeyed sweet and sour notes - and can be made with all-local ingredients.

Though it still goes with SPAM, I was feeling pork chops tonight.

This is my 27th Wedding Anniversary/Valentine’s Day dinner for two.
 
Pork Chop with Cracklins 
 Pork Chops with Honey Mustard Sauce and Cracklins
Serves 2

2 Double-cut Pork Chops (2-in. thick, end cut), trimmed, reserve fat
 
Double-cut Pork Chops
Salt and pepper


Sauce Ingredients:

½ Red Onion, sliced thinly

1TB Butter
1TB Rice Vinegar
1TB Honey
1TB Prepared Mustard

Pork Trimmings

Cracklins:

Slice fat thinly, season heavily with S&P.  Render in a pan set over low heat 30-40 minutes, until browned crispy bits form. 

Strain and reserve cracklins for garnish. Use 1 TB for frying chops, refrigerate the remainder. *


Chops:

Set oven to 300f

Season with S&P, and sear 5-6 minutes per side (medium heat).

Place pan in oven for 15-20 minutes, until chops are cooked through.
Seared Chops, ready for baking


Sauce:

Sauté onions over medium-low heat until softened.

Turn burner to lowest setting.

Add remaining ingredients and stir until slightly reduced.

Pour over chops and serve.


* Pork fat is required for cracklins, but bacon is a fine substitution.