Monday, August 1, 2011

Wheatless: Conte's Gnocchi

Gnocchi 
The last time I had gnocchi was from a batch I made 12 years ago.  I was very excited to have a gluten-free version from the freezer section.


Made even more convenient by "doctoring up" a can of sauce to go with it.


(Sorry, these photos all need small tweeks, I'm crashing the new editing software with my ineptitude.)


To the contents of the can add: 2 TB butter, 6 or 7 chopped sage leaves, 4 cloves of minced garlic.  Bring to a simmer and set aside while the pasta cooks.


All done and beautifully, plus some goat's milk feta - no salt, just stir together for 3 portions.  Yummy pillows of potato goodness and a surprisingly tangy fresh tasting sauce.


But, not gluten-free as the front of the package claims.  The last line of the small print says "Good manufacturing practices are used to segregate ingredients in a facility that also process wheat."  If you need to be gluten-free and can tolerate some contamination, I recommend these because they are really good.  However, this will be the last time for me.