Thursday, May 5, 2011

Wheatless: Thai House, St. Albans

Thai House Spring Rolls
Three appetizers, two entrees, ready in only 20 minutes!  The Thai House relocated from Lake Street to the Highgate Commons Shopping Center in St. Albans last year, but we haven't eaten at the restaurant for a few years.  The old location was too far for take-away, and too cold inside to comfortably eat there.

Prawn Rolls (above) Drunken Noodle with Shrimp (front)
Dan liked the crispy fried prawn the best, while I preferred the earthy green curry spring rolls.  The shrimp noodle dish had medium heat and was our favorite entree - though, the spiciness was only present on the noodles and veggies, not the shrimp.

Crispy Calamari
Dan ate all of these by himself (standing) while I unpacked the rest of the food.  I have no idea what they tasted like - or if that batter is made from wheat or rice.  He said they were tender.

Panang Duck
 The duck was also moist and tender, but the curry was sweet, and not as hot as the 2-chili scale on the menu indicated.


When I asked Dan what he wanted to eat for his birthday, take-out from Thai House won out over anything I suggested to make for him - and I offered traditional New England lobster rolls, shrimp-stuffed shrimp, and orange margaritas.

I hope he liked it as much as I did - every dish was gluten-free (though, I can't vouch for the calamari).