Sunday, February 13, 2011

Weekend Cook: Apple Crisp

Apple Crisp
You're not hallucinating.  I made a dessert.  From scratch.


I peeled and sliced 7 large macs, and tossed them with the juice of a lemon.  I added 1/4 cup brown sugar and grated some nutmeg over that.


1/2 cup dried cranberries were covered in cider and microwaved until hot, then allowed to cool and absorb the liquid.  This was added to the apples in a buttered casserole dish.


For the topping, I combined in a mixer: 1 cup chopped pecans, 2 TB roasted/salted pistachios (in lieu of salt), 3/4 cup brown sugar, 2 cups rolled oats, 1 stick plus 2 TB butter (in TB pieces), 1 tsp cinnamon, and a few grates of nutmeg.  I processed it until the texture was like cookie dough and patted it down over the apples.

Apple Crisp
I baked it in a 350f oven for an hour, until the topping was crisp and the apples cooked through - served with a gf "ice cream" made of coconut milk.