Monday, December 6, 2010

Monday Menu: Lamb Tagine

Lamb Tagine
Specifically, that's a lamb and pork shank tagine.   I don't normally add a lot of spices to what I cook, but this time I'm making an exception.


In the bottom of my tagine, I combined the zest of a lemon, 2 TB microplaned garlic, 1 tsp black pepper, 1/2 tsp salt, 1 tsp powdered ginger, 1/2 tsp cumin, 1 tsp paprika, 1/4 tsp coriander, a pinch of saffron.  I added enough EVOO to make a paste.


I rubbed the paste on two lamb shanks, and one pork shank.


5 or six carrots went into the bottom of the dish, then the meat.


I topped that with a cup of sauteed onions, and 1/4 cup of white wine I used to deglaze the saute pan.  I also added 5 sweet mini peppers that I bought at the store because they were so cute, and 6 oil-cured olives because they were hanging around in the refrigerator.

I covered the tagine and set it in a 300f oven for 20 minutes, then turned the heat down to 250f for 5 hours.

Lamb Shank with Vegetables and Brown Basmati
Absolutely delicious!