Monday, August 16, 2010

Monday Menu: Artichoke Hearts Sorta Stuffed



Sausages from Willow Hill Farm are the foil this Monday for my latest favorite method of cooking in a flash: stuffing something yummy with something else equally yummy.


I started with sauteed shiitakes and four fat cloves of grated garlic.


Added about an ounce of shredded Tomme Collins cheese, VT Mozzarella (about 1/4 cup), a sprinkle of wheat-free breadcrumbs, 1/4 cup of the cooked (no casing) sausage crumbled.


Sprinkled all of that over some fresh cooked (20 min. at the simmer) artichoke hearts from Half Pint Farm. In to a 400f oven for 16 minutes. They were a little too small to neatly stuff the insides with the excessively chunky stuffing.



This was an even bigger mess than usual - it's a wreck, in fact - and I couldn't even get it on a plate.  Despite the fact I "Pammed" the sheet tray, it stuck like nobody's business and we had to eat it by scraping what we could off the baking pan with a fork.

The lamb sausage became crispy like bacon, and the rest of the flavors were subtle enough so that the artichokes didn't get lost this time.  Great stuff.  Not much to look at.

If I were to do this again, I think I would stuff the hearts with raw sausage mixed with cheese and breadcrumbs - topped with more cheese, of course.